Elizabeth A. Reid
Elizabeth practices as both a barrister and a solicitor focusing on employment, labour and human rights matters. She also has a strong background in corporate/commercial and business law.
Elizabeth has represented clients at every level of court in British Columbia, as well as in proceedings before the BC Human Rights Tribunal, the BC Employment Standards Tribunal, the Workers’ Compensation Board and the Canadian Human Rights Commission. She is regularly consulted for advice on termination packages, employment contracts, union certification drives, wrongful dismissal claims, disciplinary measures, and other issues arising in the workplace.
Having clerked at the BC Court of Appeal prior to her call to the Bar, Elizabeth brings valuable experience in conducting research and analysis for members of the judiciary. She is the recipient of awards for achievement in employment law and appellate advocacy.
- University of Victoria, LL.B.
- University of Victoria, B.Sc. (Hons)
- University of Victoria, B.F.A. (Theatre)
- Year of Call: 2006 (B.C.)
- Executive Member, Employment Law Subsection, BC Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Faculty Member, CLEBC Employment Conference 2014; CLE Human Rights Conference 2011
- Member, BCHRMA and Canadian Bar Association, Human Rights and SOGIC Subsections
- Volunteer, Catherine White Holman Wellness Centre
- Judge, Canadian Rounds of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Mock Trial Competition, 2005–2009
- Past President of the Board, Rumble Theatre
“Transforming Your HR Practice: Transgendered Persons’ Legal Rights”, BC HRMA Legal Symposium, May 2014
“Transgendered Persons’ Rights in the Workforce”, BC Continuing Legal Education: Employment Law Conference, May 2014
“New Challenges for Cross Border Travellers: Managing the Global Employment Relationship”, Boughton Law Seminar, May 15, 2014
“Same Boat, Different Captain: Employment Issues in Asset Purchase Transactions”, In-House Continuing Professional Development Seminar, March 2013
“Foreign Workers: Employment and Human Rights Issues”, Client Seminar, June 8, 2012
“Managing Addictions in the Workplace: Legal Implications”, BC Human Resources Management Seminar, May 2012
“Disciplinary Procedures and Dignity at Work”, Client Seminar with ProActive ReSolutions, April 27, 2012
“Transforming Your Practice: Gender Identity in the Workplace”, BC Continuing Legal Education: Human Rights Conference, November 24, 2011
“Culture Clash: Human Rights and Foreign Workers”, Client Seminar, May 5, 2011
“The Danger of Being Wrong About Human Rights”, Client Seminar, March 25, 2010
“Canadian Employment Law: The Basics”, Doing Business in Canada Seminar, Seattle, Washington, March 5, 2010
Guest Speaker, with Noah Sarna, “Me Inc.: The Legal Issues of Starting Your Business”, University of British Columbia Sauder School of Business Students’ Society, November 4, 2009
“Overview of the Human Rights Process and Proactive Strategies to Avoid Costly Human Rights Claims”, Canadian Institute’s Duty to Accommodate Conference, June 24, 2009
“Drug and Alcohol Testing in the Workplace Privacy Issues”, Lorman Education Services, March 2009
News & Media
- Gender Diversity in the Workplace
- Presentation Slides: New Challenges for Cross Border Travellers
- Webinar: New Challenges for Cross Border Travellers
- Transforming Human Rights Practice – Transgender Policies on the Rise
- Review Launched After Hells Angels Member Hired by City of Vancouver
- Does Reality TV Show ‘Border Services’ Breach Privacy Laws?
- When Work and Family Collide – Family Status Discrimination
- Mandatory Retirement Age for Firefighters
- Defending an employer against unfounded claims of racial discrimination
- Advising an entrepreneur on his ability to compete with his former employer
- Advising a large retirement community employer on its rights and obligations when faced with union certification