R. David Toyoda*
David is an Associate Counsel. He practices in the areas of corporate and securities law, advising technology, biotechnology and mining companies that are listed, or are preparing to list on, Canadian stock exchanges. He also acts for clients in international securities transactions, including cross-border financings, and has established U.S. markets for Canadian public companies.
David has extensive experience in the corporate finance area, assisting companies on a broad range of transactions, including initial and subsequent public offerings, inter-listings on stock exchanges, private placements of both debt and equity securities and venture capital financings. He also advises already listed companies on reverse takeovers, change of businesses and reactivations, share purchase agreements and asset acquisitions.
David is a frequent presenter and lecturer on corporate and securities law topics. He is also a Director of four public and two private companies, and of one non-profit society.
A list of our Securities Practice Group’s most notable financings, listings and more can be seen on its representative transactions page.
- University of British Columbia, B.Comm. (Honours)
- University of British Columbia, LL.B.
- Year of Call: 1993 (B.C.)
- Lecturer and Course Coordinator, Corporate Governance and Public Financing, Faculty of Business Administration, Simon Fraser University, and TSX Venture Exchange, Calgary and Toronto
- Presenter and Course Coordinator, Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia, Roundup Short Course
- Presenter, Doing Business in Canada Seminar, “Venture Financing in Canadian Public Markets”, March 5, 2010
- Past Chair, Securities Law Subsection, B.C. Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Member, Securities Law Advisory Committee, B.C. Securities Commission
News & Media
- Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Four CPCs (in the past 2 years) on the completion of their qualifying transactions
- A technology company on its $6m fundraising