Assistant: Marcia Pedersen
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Litigation
- Risk Management & Compliance
- Civil Litigation
- Estate Litigation
* Law Corporation
Heather is a member of Boughton Law’s Litigation Group, practicing in the areas of commercial litigation, securities risk management and compliance, civil litigation and estate litigation.
Heather advises private and corporate clients on a broad range of commercial litigation matters.
She also advises self-regulatory organizations in disciplinary and compliance matters.
With over 20 years of experience, Heather provides litigation support and advice to both private and public companies, financial services groups, investment dealers and advisors in civil, regulatory and compliance matters. She has appeared as counsel before regulatory organizations in the securities field including the British Columbia Securities Commission, Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada and the Mutual Fund Dealers Association.
As part of Heather’s civil litigation practice she has represented beneficiaries, executors (including corporate trustees) in all manner of disputes arising out of estates. This includes contested wills, the interpretation of wills, Wills Variation Act claims, challenges to prior property transfers and matters involving estate administration and trustee accounting.
Heather has appeared as counsel before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- University of Calgary, B.A. (1992)
- Dalhousie University, LL.B. (1995)
- Year of Call: 1996 (B.C.)
Regular speaker and lecturer on regulatory and compliance issues relevant to the securities and brokerage industry
- Speaker and author, Kerr v. Danier Leather Case Study and Practical Impact for Issuers, Intensive Securities Law and Practice Course, Vancouver, BC, October 2007
- Speaker and author, Legal Issues in Residential School Litigation, Aboriginal Law Conference 2001, Whitehorse, Yukon
- How to Handle Lawsuits Against Your Business
- Helping Mom or Helping Yourself – The pitfalls for children and others helping seniors manage their affairs
- Financial Advisors: Reducing Your Exposure to Potential Liability
Advising private issuers on matters relating to compliance with exempt distribution requirements
Advising public companies on insider trading restrictions
Advising investment dealers in civil matters concerning claims of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty
Advising private companies on matters relating to oppression remedy claims
Advising registrants in disciplinary matters initiated by various regulatory bodies