Hugh H. Claxton*
Assistant: Deborah Buksewich-McPhie
Direct: 604 647 4150
Areas of Expertise
- Aboriginal Banking
- Business Financing
- Project Financing
- Commercial Lending
- Real Estate Financing
* Law Corporation
Hugh is a Shareholder and the Chair of Boughton Law’s Banking Group.
Hugh represents a variety of commercial lenders and borrowers, including banks, credit unions, life insurance companies and pension funds, on all types of loans, from simple mortgage transactions to complex multi-jurisdictional credit facilities; the financing of all types of real estate investments; CMHC insured loans over multi-unit residential buildings; issues of bonds, debentures and other instruments; project financing loans; marine vessel and aircraft financing; personal property security matters and multi-jurisdictional transactions involving parties and assets in other Canadian provinces and the United States.
Hugh’s practice also encompasses general corporate/commercial, real estate and business law, including the purchase and sale of real estate and businesses.
- University of British Columbia, B.S.F.
- University of British Columbia, J.D.
- Year of Call: 1984 (B.C.)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Mortgage Investment Association ofBritish Columbia(“MIABC”)
- Member, Editorial Board of theBritish ColumbiaContinuing Legal Education Society, Personal Property Security Manual
- Member, B.C. Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Chair, Banking Section, B.C. Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Executive Member, National Business Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
News & Media
- Parq Holdings Limited Partnership Completes Project Financing for Development of World-Class Urban Resort and Casino
- Travelers Capital Corporation Arranges Project Financing for 16 MW Hydroelectric Project in British Columbia
Represented Quebec credit union in $44 million project financing for construction of purpose-built apartment towers in Victoria.
Represented Travelers Capital Corporation, Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. and Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company regarding a $61 million non-recourse project financing for the 16 MW Box Canyon run-of-river hydropower project.
Represented lender in acquisition financing for operating 8 MW hydropower facility.
Represented lender in a bridge (construction) financing for 20 MW hydropower project.