Assistant: Cassandra Robinson
Direct: 604 605 5637
Areas of Expertise
- Confidential Information, Trade Secrets & Non-Disclosure
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Software, Technology & eCommerce
- Trade Marks
* Law Corporation
Tony Wilson regularly practices in the areas of franchising, licensing and IP law and is ranked as a leading Canadian Franchise lawyer by LEXPERT, Who’sWho Legal and Best Lawyers in Canada. He acts for national and international Franchisors and prepares franchise agreements, Franchise Disclosure Documents and related documentation to enable businesses to franchise in Canada. He also assists franchisees, master franchisees, area developers and distributors with negotiating their agreements, and maintains one of the largest hotel, restaurant and hospitality industry practices in Western Canada. He is a member of the Canadian Franchise Association and has served as legal counsel to the Pacific Regional Council of the CFA.
Tony is the author of Buying a Franchise in Canada: Understanding and Negotiating your Franchise Agreement, the only comprehensive legal guide for persons seeking to buy franchised businesses in Canada.
He is also the author of Manage Your Online Reputation, a book written to guide individuals and businesses on how to monitor and protect their personal and corporate reputations on social media. He regularly speaks and writes on both areas of law to members of the public and is often interviewed by CBC, Global News and other broadcasters respecting social media law and online reputation management.
He is a regular business columnist for the Globe and Mail and Lawyers Weekly. His articles have appeared in the Globe, Macleans Magazine, BC Restaurant News, Franchise Entrepreneur, Teacher, World Trademark Review and other publications. He also writes two widely read regular humour columns for Bartalk and Canadian Lawyer magazines.
In addition to his franchise practise, Tony advises clients on intellectual property matters such as software and technology licensing and on all aspects of trade mark, copyright, trade secrets, confidentiality, privacy law and on-line reputation management law.
To learn more about Tony’s practice, watch his video on Cross Border Intellectual Property and Franchising.
- University of Western Ontario, B.A.
- University of Victoria, LL.B.
- Year of Call: 1986 (B.C.)
- Adjunct Professor, Simon Fraser University
- Member, Global Alliance of Hospitality Association (G.A.H.A.)
- Registered Trade Mark Agent
- Legal Advisor, Pacific Regional Council, Canadian Franchise Association 1998-2003
- Member, ABA Forum on Franchising
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
News & Media
- Tony Wilson Re-Elected for Third Term as Law Society of BC Bencher
- Boughton Law Lawyers Recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada 2015
- Tony Wilson Re-elected as a Bencher of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Prestigious List Highlights Canada’s Top Law Practitioners
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2014 Recognizes Five Lawyers from Boughton Law
- Tony Wilson Selected for The International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers 2013
- 2013 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory
- Soliciting Your Opinions On CPD
- The fallout from Donald Trump’s toxic brand
- BC Government Seeks Input on Franchise Act Regulations
- How to Protect Your Intellectual Property [Legal Series on CKNW]
- Tips and Tricks for Potential Franchisees [Legal Series on CKNW]
- The Camera Never Blinks: How to Respond to an Online Reputation Crisis
- Negotiating Your Franchise Agreement
- 5 Things to Consider Before Buying a Franchise in Canada
- 13 Things to Consider Before Buying a Franchise in Canada
- Proposed B.C. Franchise Law is Pro-Business, Not Anti-Business
- Business Disputes Don’t Have to Be Settled in the Courtroom
- Why Would a U.S. Resident Want to Renounce Canadian Citizenship?
- Why Franchise Consultants Shouldn’t Be Drafting Your Disclosure Documents
- Reference Letters Can Invite Lawsuits from Former Employees
- Negotiating Your Franchise Agreement
- Legal Advice on Starting a Franchise
- Why You Should Think Twice before Buying a Franchise
- Buying a Franchise in 2012? Read This
- Manitoba to Become Newest Province to Regulate Franchising
- Your Online Reputation
- How to Manage Your Online Reputation
- Social Media Policies and Your Law Firm
- Do Your Homework before You Buy a Franchise
Acting for U.S. based food service franchise system entering Canadian market, Canadianizing U.S. Agreements and preparing Canadian franchise disclosure documents – 2009
Acting for U.S. franchised restaurant system in major acquisition of regional Canadian franchise system – 2008
Acting for Canadian Master Franchisee in the acquisition of master franchise rights for all Canada from Japanese based Franchisor – 2008
Served as Arbitrator of commercial franchise dispute – 2009
Negotiated master franchise agreement for Western Canada on behalf of U.S. based pet food company – 2008
Counsel on franchise litigation between Ontario based franchisor and British Columbia franchisee – 2008
Franchise Agreement and Disclosure Documentation preparation on behalf of several British Columbia and Alberta based Franchisors in 2008
Corporate reorganization on behalf of multi-unit/multi concept franchisor – 2008
Counsel for Australian based Franchisor; Canadianizing Australian contracts so client could enter into master agreements throughout Canada – 2007