After the Accident
Steps to take after you or someone you know has been injured in an accident:
- Obtain appropriate medical care and treatment: Tell a doctor about any and all injuries you sustained in the accident.
- Contact a lawyer: Learn what your rights are and ensure that they are protected.
- Start a lawsuit: You have 2 years from the date of the accident to commence a lawsuit. If your injury claim is not resolved within 2 years of your accident we will commence a lawsuit on your behalf against all responsible parties. Starting a lawsuit does not necessarily mean you will go to trial as most claims are fairly resolved outside of court.
- Discovery: Each party to the claim will examine the circumstances of the accident and the extent of your injuries.
- Mediation: At any point in your claim either party can suggest mediation before a neutral mediator selected by all parties. Your claim will be discussed and all parties will have an opportunity to present their case. The mediator will try to facilitate a settlement. No party is bound to come to an agreement and if the claim is not resolved the lawsuit will continue.
- Trial: If the settlement offered for your injury claim is not acceptable you may need to go to trial to assert your claim and get a judgment against the defendants.