Frequently Asked Questions about Canadian Immigration

How to immigrate to Canada?

There are several ways to immigrate to Canada. Federal Programs include:

      • Skilled workers through the Express Entry Program
      • Family reunification through Family Class Sponsorship
      • Self-employed persons
      • Start-Up Visa

There are also Provincial Nominee Programs such as the BC PNP which increasingly serve as viable pathways to permanent residence.


Is there an age limit to immigrate to Canada?

There are no age restrictions, but in most economic immigration categories, candidates between the ages of 25 and 35 earn the highest points.  There are other factors, such as significant employment experience and education that can compensate for points lost due to age.


I am a Canadian Citizen living outside of Canada.  Can I sponsor my spouse?

If you are a Canadian citizen living abroad, you can still sponsor your spouse, but you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored spouse becomes a permanent resident.


I am an international student in Canada.  Can I work?

If you receive your study permit after June 1, your study permit will indicate if you are able to work off campus.  If so, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week while:

  • Your program is in session and
  • Full-time during scheduled breaks in the academic calendar.
  • You must be a full-time student both before and after the break in order to work full-time.  You cannot work during the break before your very first school semester.


I have a job offer in Canada.  What are my next steps?

Your employer will need to take some steps before they can legally hire you.  There are several different options depending on the category you qualify for.  For example, your employer may have to apply for a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment in order for you to obtain a work permit.  A qualifying candidate may also be eligible for a work permit under the BC PNP program, as intra-company transferee or may be able to use the Global Talent Stream option.


I would like to expand my business to Canada.  What are my options?

We can assist foreign business owners to incorporate their companies in Canada and expand their workforce to Canada.  Options include programs such as the Global Talent Stream as well as the intra-company transferee category.