Assistant: Cassandra Robinson
Direct: 604 605 5637
Areas of Expertise
- IP Agreements
- Trade Marks
- Wine Law
* Law Corporation
Bennett practices intellectual property law with a focus on trade marks, copyright and licensing. He represents clients in a broad cross-section of industries advising on intellectual property protection, licensing, product distribution and liability issues.
Bennett has extensive experience in reviewing, drafting, advising on and negotiating contracts which involve intellectual property, e.g., partnership, agency, service, publishing, manufacturing, design, sales, supply, distribution, assignment, consulting, research, development, marketing, employment, independent contractor, non-disclosure, confidentiality, option, loan out and licensing agreements.
He has acted as counsel on many business transactions involving copyright, trade marks, patents, industrial designs, trade secrets and confidential information, as well as on issues arising in technology transfer, libel and defamation, digital/electronic rights and domain name disputes.
Bennett also advises clients on brand strategy and protection, the prevention and seizure of counterfeit goods, trade mark cancellations and oppositions, copyright, trade mark and trade secret infringement, passing off and unfair competition.
- University of Victoria, B.A.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B.
- Year of call: 1984 (B.C.)
- Registered Trade Mark Agent
- International Trademark Association
- Patent and Trademark Subsection, Canadian Bar Association
- International Wine Law Association
- Past Lecturer, Negotiating Skills/Copyright, Simon Fraser University Downtown
News & Media
- Changes to the Canadian Trade-marks Act: What Business Owners Can Do Before They Take Effect
- How to Avoid Copyright Issues in Website Development
- Key Differences Between Canadian and US/EU Trade Mark Practice: Final Installment
- Further Key Differences Between Canadian and US/EU Trade Mark Practice
- Canada Takes a Step Toward Joining the Madrid Protocol, Singapore Treaty and Nice Agreement on Trade Marks
- Copyright – Frequently Asked Questions
- Trade Marks – Frequently Asked Questions
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Law (CASL) in a Nutshell
- Protecting Aboriginal Marks
- Advising writers, artists, agents, designers and other content providers on copyright, contracts, publishing, agency, branding, website, licensing, libel and domain names
- Representing a research laboratory in drafting and negotiating a wide range of agreements, including a joint venture agreement to build and operate high tech machinery and equipment
- Counsel to a restaurant franchise on protection of its intellectual property
- Advising software and computer game developers on the protection of their intellectual property in Canada and the United States
- Developing contracts for a European manufacturer of material handling technology for dealers specializing in large projects throughout North America
- Acting for an equipment supplier in the oil and gas industry preparing agreements for the design, operation and production of critical technology with an offshore manufacturer
- Counsel to an Asian public company in its dispute with a Canadian enterprise over the production and supply of biometric technology
- Acting for a foreign steel manufacturer on a copyright infringement claim by a US image content provider
- Counsel to a pharmaceutical company specializing in topical adhesive products
- Agent for a multinational offshore food and beverage producer in protecting its trade mark portfolio in Canada
- Counsel to a herbal products company on intellectual property protection
"Over the past 11 years Bennett has provided our companies with trademarking services for a number of product brands. Bennett is thoughtful, efficient, doesn't waste time and seems to get to the issue quickly. We have enjoyed our working relationship with Bennett and would certainly not hesitate to recommend him for others."
"We have been working with Bennett since approximately 1992. During that time he has been of great assistance in recommending courses of action as well as handling our legal issues related to trademarks, intellectual property as well as general legal advice. Whenever a question has arisen, it has been my personal experience that he is just a phone call away. It has been a great pleasure to work with him over the years, and I see our relationship continuing as long as possible."