James D. Baird*
Assistant: May Mah
Direct: 604 647 4136
Areas of Expertise
- Charities & Not-For-Profit Organizations
- Commercial Leasing and Lending
- Estate Planning
- Real Estate Financing
* Law Corporation
James is a Shareholder. He is head of Boughton Law’s Wills, Trusts & Estates Group and also practices in the areas of corporate/commercial law and real estate and commercial leasing.
James’ Wills Practice includes advising clients on estate planning and succession matters both corporate and personal. He has expertise in all aspects of estates law, from the conception and implementation of the estate plan to the eventual administration thereof. He also frequently advises on ancillary areas such as probate management, powers of attorney and family trusts.
James also maintains an active Real Estate practice, having over 30 years’ experience representing vendors, purchasers, lenders and developers on all aspects of their transactions and projects. He has appeared before municipal regulatory authorities in connection with client projects.
James is a frequent lecturer and instructor in his areas of expertise.
- University of British Columbia, B.A.
- University of British Columbia, LL.B.
- Year of Call: 1978 (B.C.)
- Director & Member, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- Executive, British Columbia Courthouse Library Society
- Past Representative, National and Provincial Council, Canadian Bar Association
- Past President, Burnaby Bar Association
Presenter, “The New Societies Act”
Hot Topics For Charities and Not-For-Profit Organizations Seminar
January 19, 2016
Course Presenter, “WESA and the New Rules: Is Your Estates Practice Ready?”
CLE BC and BC Law Institute
November 21-22, 2013
- The New British Columbia Societies Act
- What B.C.’s New Property Transfer Tax Means for Real Estate Purchases
- Helping Mom or Helping Yourself – The pitfalls for children and others helping seniors manage their affairs
- 3 Essentials for Preparing Your Will
- What the New Wills, Estates and Succession Act (WESA) Means for You
- “If You Get a Tattoo You are Out of My Will!”
"As a tax professional specializing in estate compliance, I have had the privilege of working closely with James and his team for over 10 years. They consistently provide high quality service, stay on-top of any law/tax changes and genuinely care about their clients needs.
Working with James and his team raised the bar for what I now expect from other lawyers."
"I contacted James for assistance with preparing my will, to oversee all aspects of my mother’s estate from start to finish, as well as manage the sale of my family cottage. It was my first experience as an executor of an estate so I appreciated James' insight and knowledge. The lines of communication with James were great! Whenever I had an inquiry, I would always receive a prompt response from him or his assistant May Mah. I’m very happy with the level of service I received from James and I would definitely recommend him to others."
"It has been my pleasure dealing with James for more than six years. I find him to be personable, timely and caring. Throughout my real estate development career, I had the opportunity to work with many law firms but James is always on the top of my list as far as generating practical results on a timely basis in regards to my real estate concerns. "
"On behalf of myself and my siblings, I engaged Jim Baird of Boughton Law to manage the disbursement of my mother’s estate in October 2013. I have been impressed by the professionalism and knowledge of estate law demonstrated by Mr. Baird and his team. I recommend his team to those in need of legal advice in this area."