Assistant: Brittney Blackall
Direct: 604 647 4155
Areas of Expertise
Corporate & Business
Intellectual Property & Franchising
Donya practices corporate commercial and intellectual property law.
As part of her corporate commercial practice, Donya assists her clients on a wide range of business matters, including business structures and corporate governance, shareholders’ rights and obligations, purchase and sale of businesses, as well as the negotiation and preparation of a wide range of commercial contracts.
Donya also works with a number of web-based businesses and advises on the protection of intellectual property assets, domain name disputes, privacy laws and privacy policies, consumer protection, and terms of service. She also assists technology based businesses in the negotiation and drafting of technology related agreements, including software as a service agreements, licensing agreements, software development agreements, and information technology consulting agreements.
As part of her intellectual property practice, she supports her clients with brand strategy and protection, trademark applications, cancellations, oppositions, infringement, passing off and unfair competition.
Donya worked in commercial and retail banking at one of Canada’s leading financial institutions for five years before joining Boughton Law.
Simon Fraser University, B.A. (2011)
Thompson Rivers University, Faculty of Law, J.D. (2015)
Year of Call: 2016 (B.C.)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Business Law, Banking and Intellectual Property subsections
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- “Business and Commercial Law – Information for Entrepreneurs and Business Owners”, Dress for Success Vancouver, September 2018
- “Intellectual Property and Brand Strategy”, Thompson Rivers University Faculty of Law, March 2018
- “Corporate Law – The Purchase and Sale of a Business”; Thompson Rivers University Faculty of Law, February 2017
- “Corporate Law and Intellectual Property Protection”; Thompson Rivers University Faculty of Law, November 2016
- “Legal Basics for Tech Startups”; Protohack Vancouver, August 2016
"Who Owns the Employer’s Intellectual Property?”; Article for HR Professional Magazine, November 2017
“Who Exactly is the Owner of an Employer’s Intellectual Property?”; Article for Canadian HR Reporter, October 2017
“Who Owns a Company’s Intellectual Property?”; Article for HR Voice, September 2017
“Intellectual Property – What Employers and Employees Should Know”; Round House Radio Interview, July 2017
“CASL”: How to build your startup’s email list without violating privacy”; Content contributor, Betakit, July 2016