Richard R.E. DeFilippi*
Assistant: Kelly Scott
Direct: 604 605 8348
Assistant: Sarah Culver
Direct: 604 647 4151
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Litigation
- Natural Resources/Energy
- Sustainable Development
- Estate Litigation
* Law Corporation
Richard is an Associate Counsel. He practices in the area of civil litigation with an emphasis on corporate/commercial litigation and arbitration, environmental litigation and estate and trust matters.
Richard has over 25 years’ experience as counsel before all levels of Canadian courts, including the Supreme and Federal Courts of Canada, provincial, superior and appellate courts and various administrative tribunals, such as the Canadian Transportation Agency and the Environmental Appeal Board (BC).
Richard has acted as counsel on a wide variety of matters, such as contract claims, construction disputes, real estate transactions, railway matters, landlord-tenant disputes, franchise disputes, commercial arbitrations, pension plan claims, estate litigation, insurance litigation, environmental claims and intellectual property disputes.
- University of Calgary, B. Comm.
- University of Calgary, LL.B.
- Year of Call: 1980 (Alberta), 1984 (B.C.)
- Member, Environmental Law and Civil Litigation Subsections, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Member, Vancouver Maritime Arbitrators Association
- Member, Canadian Transport Lawyers Association
- Member, Transportation Lawyers Association
- Member, Environmental Managers of British Columbia
Panel Member, Meritas Litigation and Labor & Meritas Employment Group: 2013 Fall Meeting, Los Angeles, California
Panel Member, Environmental Legislation in British Columbia: ABA Taxation, Real Property and Trust & Estate Law Section: 2007 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, Vancouver, British Columbia
Presenter, The Prevention of Pollution from Ships Regulations and the Administrative Method of Insuring Compliance: Marine Insurance Association of B.C.: 2007 Fall Meeting, Vancouver, British Columbia